The East Stroudsburg Borough Water Department will begin flushing all fire hydrants in the Borough’s water service area beginning Monday, October 4 through Friday, October 8, 2021. The crews will be flushing at various times and locations throughout the Borough. This program is a necessary distribution system maintenance function in which sediment is expelled from the distribution system by opening fire hydrants and flowing them until the water appears clear. The flushing program also allows Water Department personnel to assess the proper operation of the fire hydrants.
Some customers in the water service area being flushed may experience brief water discoloration and slight pressure fluctuations. Borough personnel will do everything in their power to keep these conditions to a minimum.
- Avoid running your tap water and using the washing machine or dishwasher while crews are flushing in your area.
- If discolored water occurs, simply run the cold water for a few minutes until it clears. This will allow the sediment to work its way through your pipes.
- Check for discolored water before using the washing machine or dishwasher. Wait until the water runs clear at the tap before doing laundry or running the dishwasher. NOTE: If your laundry becomes stained, DO NOT PUT YOUR LAUNDRY IN THE DRYER. Rewash clothes immediately using detergent and add a rust remover. Most rust removers can also be used on stained fixtures.
- In some cases, slight discoloration might linger for a few hours. This discoloration only affects the appearance of the water and does not affect water quality. No health hazards are associated with discolored water from hydrant flushing.
- If water pressure or water volume seems low after flushing has been completed, check your faucet screens for trapped particles.