East Stroudsburg Borough is fortunate to have dozens of residents who dedicate their valuable time and effort on a monthly or regular basis to serve as volunteers on various Boards and Commissions established by the Borough.
The Borough of East Stroudsburg was created by an Act of the Pennsylvania State Legislature and incorporated as a Borough in 1870. Our municipality includes an area of approximately 2.5 square miles and a resident population of over 10,000.
East Stroudsburg Borough originally was the industrial center of Monroe County due to the railroad. Now it is home to the two largest service institutions in the county, East Stroudsburg University and the Pocono Medical Center.
The Borough operates under the provisions of the Borough Code of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Borough Council
(the legislative branch of the local government) is made up of six (6) members, who are elected by wards. The administrative branch of the Borough government is directed by a professional administrator (Borough Manager
) appointed by Council. The elected Mayor
serves as the official “Head of State”. A separately elected Tax Collector is responsible for collecting borough and county real estate taxes.